Friday, April 24, 2015

Basement Part Two: the WC

When we finished the basement, it was important to me that it have a full bath. The addition of a powder room was an obvious choice, but we Mr. 31-derful was unsure about the bath/shower. We went for it. I can tell you that three years later, no one has ever used the shower, but I still don't regret it one bit. I know that as my girls get older that the basement is going to become their sleepover spot. I also know two other things 1) teenage girls won't leave the house until they are showered and ready, and 2) I don't want the girls' guests to have to walk up two flights in their jammies to shower (because by then I hope my kids are no longer using my main floor master bath as their primary shower, but that is a story for another day).

When we moved here in 2007, I painted almost every room a uniform beige with fabric accents in orange and lime (very Crate and Barrel). By the time we did the basement in 2012, I was ready for gray and whitewashed woods (very Restoration). I did want the basement to be cohesive with the rest of the house, so most of it is painted in my signature beige with the "fee-ater" and bath in gray. I searched for wallpaper and accessories that married the gray and beige. I lucked out with this shower curtain:


The light is beautiful in there and the basement is well-lit, but I have a very hard time capturing it in the basement.

I chose middle of the road Moen fixtures in here because I was not sure if, or when, they would be used. I actually love the look of them:

Because everything upstairs is very clean-lined and I wanted something softer here, I opted for this sweet sink and vanity from Home Decorators (we have an outlet here and I got it for a steal). The mirror was a find at my beloved Homegoods, and I got the crown from Kirkland's for $5! I love it; it is like seeing yourself in a crown every time you look in the mirror!

I "splurged" a little to have a toto toilet to match the rest of the ones throughout the house. The floor tile is actually really nice too, but I needed so little of it that it wasn't a big line item in the budget.

Though it isn't used much yet, I am happy we opted to add this full bath to the basement. I'll be back with more of the basement this week!

No comments: